Find out how to get to Metrocentre
Metrocentre is anchored by notable retailers. This may help you determine which zones you need to park in. Below are some information to enter into your sat nav before setting off.
- Green car park for Marks & Spencer
- Green Car Park - what3words /// vision.quarrel.sport
- Blue car park for TK Maxx & HomeSense
- Blue Multi Storey - what3words /// tamed.award.grabs
- Red car park for Zara
- Yellow car park for restaurants, leisure and ODEON cinema
There are multi-storey car parks in Red, Blue and Yellow zone, as well as outdoor car parks which are located in Red, Blue, Yellow and Green.
The barrier height restriction for our multi-storey car parks are as follows:
- 1.98m height restriction in Yellow and Blue multi-storey car parks
- 2.1m height restriction in Red multi-storey
How do I get to Metrocentre?
Travelling to Metrocentre is easy with almost 10,000 free car parking spaces, a bus interchange, a train station and a coach park which can accommodate up to 350 coaches.
Situated just off the A1, Metrocentre is easily accessible for drivers and a popular choice because our main car parks is free of charge with no time restrictions. However, please note that if you are visiting the stores in MetrOasis and Metro Retail Park, these car parks are smaller and there is a 4 hour maximum at MetrOasis and Metro Retail Park car parks which are adjacent to the centre.
Shoppers visiting Metrocentre in the evening to enjoy our leisure facilities and restaurants should park in the yellow as the cinema and restaurants exit into this car park. The blue car park is also opening until late for visitors dining in Wetherspoons.
All of our car parks have achieved the standards of the Safer Parking Scheme and have been granted the Park Mark Safer Parking Award. This means that we provide Police accredited parking in all of our car parks.
From the South
- Travel along the A1(M) northbound.
- From the A1 Washington Services (Birtley) keep to left at junction 65 and continue on A1 (signs for A1 Gateshead, Newcastle).
- Continue on A1 (Gateshead/Newcastle Western Bypass) for approx 6 miles.
- Exit left (signs for Metrocentre) and turn right onto Hollinside Road.
- Continue through traffic lights towards Metrocentre.
From the North
- Join the A1 southbound towards Newcastle and Gateshead (signs for The South A1M, Gateshead).
- Continue on A1 until you see exit sign for Metrocentre.
Over 100 buses an hour arrive at the Metrocentre’s Public Transport Interchange from throughout the North East. Operators include Nexus, Go North East, Stagecoach and Arriva.
Service X66 runs every 10 minutes from Gateshead direct to the Metrocentre
Services 6/10/10A/10B/47/X45 run every few minutes from Newcastle Eldon Square direct to Metrocentre
All services serve the Metrocentre Interchange at the stands shown in the map here.
Services 49/49A serve the MetroOasis bus stops.
Metro Retail Park
Services 10/10A/10B/47 stopping outside Buzz Bingo.
The Metro system is a short bus ride away from both Newcastle and Gateshead centres via Monument, Central and Gateshead Metro stations. A transfare ticket on the Metro system will allow transfer to any bus to complete your journey to Metrocentre.
Metrocentre is on the national rail network and has its own train station. It takes just 7 minutes by train from Newcastle Central Station with trains during the day every 15 minutes, less frequently during evenings and on Sundays. Frequent services are available from Newcastle, Sunderland, Teesside, County Durham and stations along the Tyne Valley Line to Carlisle.
Taxi Pickup & Drop-Off
Situated in all of our mall entrances we have dedicated Taxi pickup and drop-off points. When ordering your taxi simply state which mall you would like to be picked up / dropped off from.
Alternatively we do have Dean Taxi's direct line phones located outside of all of our entrances from which you can order your taxi from.